Friday, July 19, 2013

Steampunk Research: Ohio's Part in The Underground Railroad

As a kid growing up in Cleveland, OH, we talked about The Underground Railroad and Ohio's role in helping escaped slaves flee north, every year during Black History Month.  To be honest,  I really didn't realize how extensive a network of houses (conductor stations), universities (Otterbein & Oberlin to name two), and communities (Africa - East Orange, Westerville, Cleveland, etc.) existed until I started doing my own research.  When I think about the number of people who quietly worked together for a common good, I am overwhelmed.

Provided by the Westerville Historical Society and Westerville Library

There were steamship crews, some populated with escaped slave crewmen, who helped shuttle groups across Lake Erie into Canada.  Once in Canada, some escapees secured passage to Europe and other parts of the world.  Quilts, lamps, hitching posts, flowers, and all manner of items were used by conductors to designate if their home was safe, already occupied, or in danger of being raided by slave catchers.  Whole communities came together to feed, clothe, and outfit traveling groups of escapees.

There were patches of Ohio occupied by southern sympathizers, too.  These areas were avoided at all cost.  As you can see from the map above, there are very few 'straight shots' north through Ohio!

Once I am finished with my first manuscript in my series, I will do more research on what happened once the groups crossed Lake Erie into Canada, where they settled if they decided to go to Europe, and what life was like if they decided to stay in Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment